Monday, August 13, 2012

Lemartes in 6th Edition II

I have been extremely excited to allow my love affair with the Death Company to continue unhindered by compulsory movement. You will recall that I have been experimenting with Lemartes.

In this past week's game at the club, I continued the table-top experiment with Lemartes. I was playing against an assault dedicated Black Templar army.

I learned a couple of things:

First, my opponent's army was so dedicated to assault, that he had very short-ranged shooting. This fact in conjunction with the DC jump packs meant that I couldn't get a wound on Lemartes before the DC charged into combat. If I had hung around waiting for the wound, then I would have given the charge to the crusader squads. I did manage to get a wound on Lemartes in the first round of combat. However, it was after Lemartes' initiative step. So, his Fury Unbound rule didn't take effect until the second round of combat. It is a little less impressive on the second round. This also meant that I was having to pass wounds off on a 4+ Look Out Sir, which is slightly more dangerous than the 2+ for Independent Characters.

Second, having an AP4 Crozius is a bit detrimental against MEQ. The inability to penetrate power armor means relying exclusively on failed armor saves. This would not have been as much of an issue if I had the 8 str 8 attacks on the charge. You will recall that I was unable to get the wound on Lemartes before the charge.

So, the jury is still out on Lemartes. Is he worth his points? Should I continue to use him? What do you think? At the least, some more play-testing is in order.

No comments: