Saturday, March 3, 2012

Blood Angels vs. Tyranids: A Mentoring Game

I haven't posted much this week. My Brother-in-Law flew over the pond to visit with our a family. As a result, I am not spending much time in the hobby. We are showing him the sights here in Bella Napoli.

Nevertheless, I went over to the school house to help Darksaint out with the young 40k players at his after school club. This week, I played 750 point game against a very new and young Tyranid player. His painting shows great potential. Yet he is still trying to come to grips with all the special rules of his army.

I played him with the intention of helping him discover just what some of his units are capable of on the table.

I spent most of the game helping him learn just how fast his hormagaunt broods really are. He was happy to discover what Fleet, Move Through Cover, and Bounding Leap mean. Other topics of learning included Rending for the Genestealers and Deep Striking for the Trygon.

In reality, he had plenty of opportunity to learn about the Deepstrike rules as my Angels Sanguine were reserved for deepstrike as well.

The mission was Annihilation in a Spear Head deployment. We called the game for time after the top of turn 4 (I was going second in the turn sequence as usual) with the Angels Sanguine ahead in KPs: 4-1.

I have really been thinking about how to best help these young players learn the game. If you have any thoughts, please share a comment.

Incidentally, I placed an order with GW the other day: Land Raider Crusader/Redeemer, 3 Land Raider, and Mephiston.

No comments: