Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Monday's Game at the Club

 I played in a 1500 point game against a combined force. My opponents: 750 Vanilla Space Marines and 750 Imperial Guard.

I ran the following list for fun:
-Reclusiarch in Terminator Armor
-Honor Guard with 4 Meltaguns
-Terminator Assault Squad with 4 Lightening Claws and 1 Thunder Hammer in a Land Raider Crusader (joined by the Reclusiarch).
-2x Assault Squad (5 man bare-bones)
-3x Baal Predator with Heavy Bolter Sponsons and Pintle Storm Bolter.


Mission: Capture and Control
Deployment: Dawn of War

I really had a blast playing this week against to really great sports. They are still learning the game, and I spent some time teaching throughout the game about basic game mechanics, good 40k/table top etiquette, and having a plan for the battle. All this teaching meant that we had to call the game after turn 4, as the 2 hours for the after-school club had expired.

The game ended in a draw, but I know the exact reason for this end. I was tempted into putting my Assault Marines into the assault instead of putting one unit on my objective.

The after game analysis teaches a lesson. Don't give up on your plan for any reason. I planned on fighting the battle with everything except for my Assault Marines. I reserved those Marines in order to protect them from fire and bring on later for objective grabs. However, I was having so much success in killing in the early game. When I made my reserve rolls, I dropped my Assault Marines in on the opponents side of the table to join the battle. The result: when the game was called, I controlled no objective. My opponents controlled none as a result of the killing.

Nevertheless, it was a light and fun game. As usual, I was not pressing hard because this was the teaching environment. Yet, I thought we could all learn (or be reinforced in our good practices) by a little post game analysis.

Do not give up on your plan for any reason. We would each do well to start with a plan and stick to that plan. Pay attention to the mission objectives, and work early enough to put yourself in a position to win the game.

No comments: