Friday, July 17, 2009

The Devastator Squad

I absolutely love the devastator squad models. I love the look. They are Marines with huge weapons, ready to blast things.

You can see my devastator squad in the picture getting some action in an apocalypse game that paired my Blood Angels with the Black Templars of a fellow player in our group.

I found out after I had already finished modeling and painting that I had paired anti-tank and anti-infantry together. I really should have put Missile Launchers in with the Lascannons.

Regardless, the devastator squad is too expensive to use in a 1700 or 1800 point tournament list. Just the five marines kitted out as I have them here costs slightly less than a Land Raider. I guarantee you that they don't survive as well as my Land Raider. So, I don't use them in my tournament list.

That doesn't mean that you can't use them. If you are going to use them, I feel that you have to increase the squad size to 10 marines. Why? Because they will attract attention. They pack too much punch to be ignored. Your opponent will try to kill them. You need those 5 extra marines as wounds, cannon fodder. The squad has to be able to soak up some extra wounds before you are required to take one of those expensive Heavy Weapons off the table.

Suffer not the traitor to live! Death to Xenos and Heretics in the name of the Emperor.

4 comments:

Mitch said...

The "warning stripe" chainswords were always my favorite to look at

Mitch
http://ottawagamer.blogspot.com/

Feldmarshal Goehring said...

Yea, I like them best.

Raptor1313 said...

I think if you were really intent on getting Devs in there, you could go with 2 heavies in 5, or 3 in 6 guys.

You're right about the need for extra bodies. If it's just 5 guys, all it takes is two wounds from the same shooting to force a save on heavy weapons.

I think Devs look sweet in gneeral, especially the lascannon marines holding it up like an oversize rifle. You've done fine on the paint jobs, as well.

Still, for heavy weapons, I think that Predators with autocannons and heavy bolters are definitely contenders, as they just have a very solid rate of fire and are totally immune to small arms fire, whereas Devs? A bolter kills a devastator marine just like any other marine, and losing devastators is more important than losing the odd tactical marine.

Feldmarshal Goehring said...

Right on Raptor.

I run 3 Baal Predators for Maximum DAKKA!!!!

I use my Devastators pretty much exclusively in Apocalypse games.