Sunday, July 26, 2009

Game 2: Black Templars vs. Angels Sanguine

1850 pts. Mission: Capture and Control. Deployment: Spearhead

Well, High Marshal Hunter and I decided to run a second game last Friday night. With just the two of us playing, we decided to leave the terrain exactly as it was and roll up a new mission and new deployment.

His List:
-5 Crusaders with Bolters, Meltagun, and Missile Launcher in a Rhino.
-5 Crusaders with Bolters, Plasmagun, and Lascannon in a Rhino.
-Emperor's Champion, 9 Crusaders with Bolt Pistols/CCW and a Meltagun in a Rhino.
-Marshal in Terminator Armor with Lightning Claws and 7 Assault Terminators, 3 Lightning Claws and 4 Thunder Hammer/Storm Shield in a Land Raider Crusader.
-8 Assault Marines, one Plasma Pistol
-Dreadnought with Twin Linked Lascannon and Missile Launcher
-1 Vindicator (predator proxy)

I won the roll off and decided to go second. He chose his quadrant and deployed everything except his Assault Marines, with his objective in the small corner of a ruined bulding way in the back.

I placed my objective in the woods and reserved everything.

On the top of turn one, he drove everything across the table towards my objective making excellent use of the road to gain some extra ground. His armored column advanced, while the Dread and a Rhino took a wider angle toward my objective. He left a Rhino with 5 crusaders/meltagun/missile launcher back on top of his objective.

On the top of turn 2, High Marshal Hunter advanced his Rhino, Dread, and Land Raider towards my objective. He realized that in a spearhead mission my reserves could come on from the entire table edge. So, he halted the advance of his Vindicator (predator proxy) and Emperor's Champion crusader Rhino in an attempt to leave them able to respond to whatever I decided to do.
Bottom of 2, reserve rolls turned up Dante, two Assault Squads, one Attack Bike, and two Baal Predators. I drove the Rhinos 12" on the very edge of the table toward his objective. The inside Rhino smoked in order to cover itself and its partner. The Baals came on at combat speed in order to fire the Assault Cannons at the Emperor's Champion Rhino. The Baals achieved a weapon destroyed and crew shaken on the Rhino, and the Attack Bike achieved a weapon destroyed on the Vindicator. That was nice, no demolisher cannon this game. Since the Vindy had no other weapons, it became a mobile hulk for blocking LoS and contesting objectives. Dante jumped into some ruins for cover.

Top of turn 3, High Marshal Hunter ordered his Assault Marines to Deep Strike in between his objective and my rapidly advancing Rhinos. A great move on his part. He was able to speed-bump my Assault Squads and save the game. Anyway, his lead Rhino advanced further toward my objective. The Land Raider wheeled around the tank trap in order to fire the Multimelta at my Attack Bike causing instant death. The Dreadnought angled toward the center of the table and put a crew shaken on the closest Baal Predator.
Bottom of 3, Reserves turned up the other Attack Bike, Furioso Dreadnought, 3rd Baal Predator, and the Tactical Squad. I brought in the newly arriving Baal Predator on with the Attack Bike and Furioso Dreadnought in an attempt to stop his Rhino from claiming my objective. The idea was that the Attack Bike would pop the Rhino, then the Baal Pred would kill of a few of the Crusaders inside by virtue of the Assault Cannon. Then, the Furioso would have a juicy target there in the closest range to charge down next turn. Well, none of that worked. The attack bike failed, so I had to fire the Assault Cannon on the Rhino which effected a crew shaken. This forced the Furioso to fire his meltagun, which also did nothing.

On the right, I knew that Marshal Hunter had a Missile Launcher in that Rhino, so I brought up the previously covered Rhino and popped smoke in order to cover the Rhino which had smoked last turn. The shaken Baal Predator moved up and smoked in order to provide cover for the other Baal Predator, which was busy firing everything into the Assault Marines. I wanted to mow down that speed bump so my Rhinos could drive on. The Tactical Squad drove on at cruising speed. Dante jumped over to the next building and put a crew shaken on the Emperor's Champion Rhino.


Top of turn 4, High Marshal Hunter's Assault Marines assaulted the second Rhino in my pair streaking up the right side. They exploded the rhino, killing one of the Templars in the process. The shooting failed to stop the lead Rhino which was covered in smoke. He moved his Rhino and toothless Vindicator back to shield his objective. Over on the left, his Land Raider delivered the Terminators into an assault which exploded my Baal Predator.

Bottom of turn 4, Reserves turn up the last Assault Squad. I drive them in on the left, knowing that the Furioso must charge the Terminators (closest enemy). I figured the assault would last at least into his turn. Leaving the Rhino to drive onto the objective. The Attack Bike angled to get a rear armor shot on the Rhino on my objective. Result: crew shaken. The Furioso fired the Heavy Flamer and Meltagun into the Terminators following with an assault. This was great, except he bit off more than he could chew. The Terminators wrecked him, no problem.

On the right, my Assault Squad (now with no Rhino), fired on and assaulted the Templar Assault Squad. They killed the Templars. They consolidated towards the objective. The remaining Rhino there over-charged and drove around both of my opponents Rhinos to prepare for a 5th turn Objective grab.

I fired everything from one Baal at the objective holding Rhino and everything from the other Baal at the Vindicator which was now within 3" of the objective. I immobilized the Vindy and Exploded the Rhino. Dante epic failed on the Emperor's Champion Rhino. He failed with the Perdition Pistol and with the Assault.

On the top of turn five, the High Marshal's Terminators tore through my Rhino which had been hiding behind the Furioso. The Marines inside survived. I unloaded them so that they could get around the Terminators and try to get at that Rhino on the objective. On the right, the Emperor's Champion couldn't resist the opportunity to prove his mettle against Dante. He led his 9-man Crusader squad out. They fired at Dante doing nothing, then they assaulted Dante. Dante put a wound on the Emperor's Champion, receiving none in return. However, while they were fighting in single combat, the rest of the cowardly crusader squad cast off their honor and attacked Dante in the back. None of them could wound him, save the Powerfist guy. One wound from him resulted in instant death.

High Marshal Hunters crusader squad which was holding his objective fired on my Rhino which was poised to grab the objective with a Tank Shock. Their shots exploded the Rhino.

Bottom of turn 5, reserves are automatic. So, Corbulo and the Death Company arrive. I drive them up to the woods for objective contesting. They stop one inch away from the hull of the Templar Rhino. I managed to squeeze the Assault Squad past the Terminators and they assaulted the Rhino. They wrecked it, forcing the marines out. But I had nothing left over there to kill them with, because the shooty Dreadnought had killed my Attack Bike.

On the Right, I fired both Baal Predators at the Vindicator, I couldn't destroy it. So, I top hatched the Tactical Squads Lascannon at it to no effect. My last best hope was the Powerfist Assault Squad that was in position to take that objective. They were facing 4 crusaders with meltagun, missile launcher, and 2 bolters. I shot the bolt pistols into them, killing two. This left a 4 on 2 assault in my favor. I believed that I could kill them, and consolidate onto the objective. In the ensuing assault, my marines killed none and the Templars killed one of my marines. No problem, I still had the initiative 1 veteran sergeant with a powerfist. He would get 3 attacks. He hit with 2, and failed to wound. Epic Fail!

Game Ends in a Draw. Objectives: Black Templars:0, Blood Angels:0.

My Analysis: I really feel that I made some mistakes during this battle. After High Marshal Hunter devoted so much of his force toward acquiring my objective, I decided that I would make his objective mine and simply contest my objective at the last moment for a win. However, I did not sell out to it. You will notice in the report, that I started engaging that objective on turn 3 with a Baal Predator, Furioso, and Attack Bike. I really should have commited those forces to the battle for the Templar objective. Then I could have used the last Rhino to come in on reserve to contest.

I guess what I am trying to say is that I had the right idea, or battle plan. However, I did not follow that plan. I did not commit everything to that plan. I don't know why I thought I needed the extra support over there to contest. Hindsight is 20/20. Next time I will sell out to my plan.

I have also thought that in this particular scenario, capture and control, I don't have to reserve everything. I could go ahead and park the Tac squad on the objective, deploy the Assault Wing of my army (Dante, Corbulo, Furioso, and DC), along with the Baal Predators. Also, I could reserve the other 3 Assault Rhinos (Troop Choices). In this manner, I would force my opponent to deal with the Assault Wing. They would have to advance under fire from the Baals, in order to engage Dante, Furioso, and DC in close-combat.

While all this is going on, my reserves will come up on turn 2,3,4, or 5. I can then drive them around the flank toward that objective for contesting. I really feel like I should be able to win this battle 1 to 0 every time.

Live and learn, that is why we play the game.

I would like to say that High Marshal Hunter doesn't make things easy on me. He is constantly improving his game. I really feel like he will make a better showing at the next tournament we enter. Let me say that a little differently. I really feel like WE will make a better showing at the next tournament.

2 comments:

SynnerG said...

Yeah, I could tell where you plans were starting to go off target. Maybe bait the LR and his dread with something else, like just the bike. If it dies, it's just 1 unit (which would suck in KP) but it has the potential to kill his units so he can't just ignore it and let it attack rear armor. And then not commit the other Pred and units there, but blob them with your main force to throw 3 AC's worth of shots into his defenders, etc.

No worries, I have faith the Angels will overcome next time!

Feldmarshal Goehring said...

I agree with your analysis.

Nevertheless, it was a great game against a fun opponent. I learned some important things from the experience.