Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Urban Base Test Cases

Since I have all the Blood Angels units for my tournament list painted up and finished, I have decided to work on some of the Auxiliary Units. These units will be available to me for variant lists and apocalypse games.

So, I started working on two five man Veteran Assault Squads. These are the two which I used in the 'Ard Boyz Tournament. I purchased the Vanguard Veteran models, because they are great.

While I was working on them, I decided to try out two new and different ways at making urban bases on the models. I have determined to go back and base the entire army in one of these methods if I really like the way that it turns out.

For one squad, I have cut out a piece of plastic the size of the base top. This plastic is from an old CD case lid or something similar. The reason that I chose this type of plastic is because it is very rigid. I want to break the plastic in order to achieve a natural broken concrete (or asphalt) look along those rigid break lines that come natural to the plastic. I think it will imitate the real thing very well.

The second squad, I have cut out a number of equally sized cereal card squares. Then, I glued them onto the top of the base and trimmed off the excess.

I have a picture of each before painting. I will add some bits for gravel or rubble, bricks, etc. We shall see which turns out the best.


the other Kevin said...

With the CD plastic being very smooth, you might want to sand it a bit to get it to look more like concrete.
Looking forward to seeing your results.

Feldmarshal Goehring said...

Hey, that's a good idea. Thanks, other Kevin.